Monday, December 12, 2011

The Back of the Dress

I've got the sketches for the dress all drawn up. I always draw a sketch of the project I am about to do. It better helps me with putting the dress together, visualize the end product I am trying to achieve. For a long time I wasn't sure how the back of the dress looked, I'd sketched it out a dozen times. But not having any reference photos of the back was difficult. Before finding the pictures from the Oaklahoma exhibit, I had sketched out the back and came up with this:

My first attempt.
After drawing it up, I wasn't 100% sure how I was going to finish off the angles. It wouldn't look right if they just stopped. So back to the drawing board.. a.k.a. my sketch book. I eventually drew up a sketch of the back the is pretty similar to how the back of the original dress looks. Pretty close to what the back of the original don't you think?

The back of the drawing.

The back of the original.
After debating with myself, I decided that I didn't want to do such a drastic train. It still had to have something  though. So again, I went back to sketching out a new drawing of the back. Eventually I came up with something I liked and could do rather easily.

The final decision.
I think it gives the dress a little bit more of an update and can appeal more to another generation. As you can see the dress does not match the original 100%... I am not looking for 100% authenticity. My dress is going to be strapless with the option of adding sleeves if I were to ever have the heart to sell it. My goal for this dress is it get it done by April 15th 2012, the 100th anniversary of the sinking. Just in time for prom season and the movie to be re-released in 3D. That is all I have for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment